« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

not so easy to install roadshow for a beginner

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

xilly
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

not so easy to install roadshow for a beginner

Post by xilly »

Hello everyone,

My set-up is an amiga 4000D with a 2065 network card (and a 68060 accelerator)

I currently have genesis installed and it's working with the following parameters:

IP address: 192.168.150
Gateway 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

I'm using ethernet.device in the folder devs.networks

As mentioned everything is working with this configuration with genesis

Roadshow
1) I installed the software
2) I copy ethernet.device in the folder devs/netinterfaces
3) I installed roadie to have more clarity of what is happening

When I reboot my amiga, roadie is telling me that roadshow was not able to read 6 unknow keywords in the file devs/netinterfaces/ethernet.device
-> Line 3,4,6,7,8,9

show net status
local host address = not configured
default gateway address = not configured
domain name system server = 127.0.0.1

After reading the documentation, it looks like by default roadshow is set up for a dhcp server and that I should modify the config file

First issue is that I can't find any config file?

Next step was to try via a cli command the following:
configurenetinterface ethernet.device/a,192.168.1.50/k,255.255.255.0/k,192.168.1.1/k,auto/k

When I enter the command, I don't have any error message but nothing is happening neither ?

I'm completely stuck here and I don't know what to do

Tx in advance for any help

William
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: not so easy to install roadshow for a beginner

Post by olsen »

xilly wrote: 18.06.2020 - 20:23 Hello everyone,

My set-up is an amiga 4000D with a 2065 network card (and a 68060 accelerator)

I currently have genesis installed and it's working with the following parameters:

IP address: 192.168.150
Gateway 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

I'm using ethernet.device in the folder devs.networks

As mentioned everything is working with this configuration with genesis

Roadshow
1) I installed the software
2) I copy ethernet.device in the folder devs/netinterfaces
3) I installed roadie to have more clarity of what is happening

When I reboot my amiga, roadie is telling me that roadshow was not able to read 6 unknow keywords in the file devs/netinterfaces/ethernet.device
-> Line 3,4,6,7,8,9

show net status
local host address = not configured
default gateway address = not configured
domain name system server = 127.0.0.1

After reading the documentation, it looks like by default roadshow is set up for a dhcp server and that I should modify the config file

First issue is that I can't find any config file?

Next step was to try via a cli command the following:
configurenetinterface ethernet.device/a,192.168.1.50/k,255.255.255.0/k,192.168.1.1/k,auto/k

When I enter the command, I don't have any error message but nothing is happening neither ?

I'm completely stuck here and I don't know what to do

Tx in advance for any help

William
I would recommend that you use the network device setup process which Roadshow was designed to use. It works by dragging an file from the "SYS:Storage/NetInterfaces" drawer into the "DEVS:NetInterfaces" drawer and restarting your Amiga. In your case that file should have been the "A2065" file. However, there is a catch: you picked a network driver whose name does not match the "a2065.device" driver name. You can remedy this by using a text editor to change the contents of the "A2065" configuration file once you have dragged it to the "DEVS:NetInterfaces" drawer. Just replace "a2065.device" with "ethernet.device" and save your changes back to disk, and subsequently restart your Amiga.

While you could set up your A2065 using the ConfigureNetInterface command, it does require much more knowledge of how the command works, and which parameters to use.

Please let me know how you fare :)
xilly
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Post by xilly »

hello,

sorry for the very late answer

after installing the config file a2065 in netinterfaces folder, everything works!

Do you recommend a particular network card to maximize the efficiency of the roadshow?

tx

willliam
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

xilly wrote: 15.07.2020 - 19:46 hello,

sorry for the very late answer

after installing the config file a2065 in netinterfaces folder, everything works!
Happy to hear it :) If you had not asked the question on how to get Roadshow to work for your system, what would have made your life easier when looking for the relevevant information in the documentation?
Do you recommend a particular network card to maximize the efficiency of the roadshow?
I developed and tested Roadshow with the Ariadne and Ariadne II network cards, and these two are today likely no longer available for sale (they are now more than 20-25 years old). The original Ariadne performed very well since it has very large on-board RAM buffers which were used for transmission and reception. That hit the sweet spot between performance and system load with Roadshow.

Other network cards tip the balance into different directions. The overvall performance of Roadshow depends upon how quickly the Amiga can move the data around, so system with high RAM performance will help, and so will a network card which can buffer and transmit its data faster. The A2065 is at the low end of that scale, it being one of the very first Amiga Ethernet cards to begin with. I would expect that almost every other Amiga Zorro II network card you could buy today would do better than the A2065. So the best choice may be what meets your budget and fits into an Amiga :)

That said, performance tuning can be necessary. There is no configuration which fits every need, and what configuration files ship with Roadshow are by necessity a compromise. The Roadshow documentation contains a chapter on performance tuning which you might want to dip into.