« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Es werden für mehr Seite noch 12 (25) neue Abos benötigt.
12 (25) new 1-Year-subscriptions are required for more pages.

Make a Subscription NOW!
More Infos: http://25.amigafuture.de

Apollo V4SA - V4BootLoader-V2.0

Amiga und Kompatible: AmigaOS, MorphOS, AROS.

Moderator: AndreasM

WillemDrijver
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Apollo V4SA - V4BootLoader-V2.0

Post by WillemDrijver »

For AmigaFuture users who are interested in Apollo Vampire developments;

I would like to share a sneak preview of V4BootLoader-V2.0 (V4BL) which is planned for release on 10-10-2020.

V4BL is a freeware AROS based multi-boot framework allowing V4SA owners to install and boot:
ApolloOS, Coffin, AmiKIT-XE, AOS1.3, AOS3.1, AOS3.9, AOS3.1.4.1, AROS and EmuTOS.
All on one single 64Gb CF-Card with easy bootselector, isolated OS-partitions and shared DATA-partitions (PFS3).

Preview: https://youtu.be/8mtb-2YloTY

Registration/Information/Feedback: willemdrijver@mac.com
daxb
AFF Profi
AFF Profi

Re: Apollo V4SA - V4BootLoader-V2.0

Post by daxb »

Why not explain how it works?
WillemDrijver
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Post by WillemDrijver »

Sure, I am happy to. Although the video will give you a good idea on how it works, here is some more detail;

V4BootLoader-V2.0 is a pre-partitioned 64Gb CF-Card image with a lightweight AROS bootstrap from which you Boot the Vampire V4.
There are nine partitions (slots) for Amiga OS-es: ApolloOS, Coffin, AmiKIT-XE, AOS1.3, AOS3.1, AOS3.9, AOS3.1.4.1, AROS and EmuTOS
At boot it gives the user a bootselector to choose the OS, checks presence of the OS and if not there kicks off unattended install.
If OS is there it will manipulate the partition bootflags to make sure that the OS can Boot and then softkicks the appropriate ROM.
Finally from within the chosen running OS users can doubleclick the V4-Bootloader to run the bootselector again.
daxb
AFF Profi
AFF Profi

Post by daxb »

Usually I don't watch videos that explains something that just wastes time. I prefer simple text information. Therefore I asked.
manipulate the partition bootflags
Thanks for explanation. That was the info I needed to understand how it works, beside pre-partition. How do you check for existence of an OS? Btw., with the pre-partition and OS selection on a 64GB card the user is a bit fixed.
WillemDrijver
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Post by WillemDrijver »

Bootloader checks existence of S/Startup-Sequence or if volume is empty (I use DIR > CHECKFILE and a filesize check on CHECKFILE).

Agreed, the pre-partitioning is STATIC and cannot be changed by regular users. Expert users can make their alterations.

But on the other hand my experience is that average users have problems in Disk/Partition management.

With 64Gb there is enough space to distribute between al the OS-es.

The DATA partitions are not hidden across the different OS-es, so partitions with Games/Apps etc. are shared between OS-es which saves space.