« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Sharing Internet to an other Amiga using Roadshow

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

ppotera
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Sharing Internet to an other Amiga using Roadshow

Post by ppotera »

This is my first post, so Hello to everyone! :-)

Question - I got two network cards in my *main*, big Amiga and I wanted to utilise one of them to serve Internet connection and FTP for the other Amiga. Is it possible? How to set it up?
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: Sharing Internet to an other Amiga using Roadshow

Post by olsen »

ppotera wrote: 03.02.2022 - 00:47 This is my first post, so Hello to everyone! :-)

Question - I got two network cards in my *main*, big Amiga and I wanted to utilise one of them to serve Internet connection and FTP for the other Amiga. Is it possible? How to set it up?
It is possible but I would not really recommend it for daily use unless you are curious and want to experiment with it. You may be best served by having a central gateway router in your network which is shared by all the computers in your home which need to connect to the Internet. Using an Amiga to act as a bridge will be a decidedly less powerful and efficient solution.

You will need to familiarize yourself with the firewall tool documentation and the example given in the Roadshow reference documentation, the latter of which can be found in section 7.1.4, which is titled IP packet filter configuration files in "S:IPF". The contents of this section describe the configuration which I used myself to test the firewall feature by connecting my work machine to the gateway router in my home office.

At that time, the connection required the use of the PPPoE protocol, which is why it is used so prominently in the sample configuration files detailed in this section. Since your Amiga features two networking cards, you would have to adapt the sample configuration accordingly. In the sample configuration the name of the networking device directly connected to the Internet segment is called "PPPoE". This is the interface which the firewall rules apply to.

The other network interface, which would connect the network segment to your other Amiga, uses the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet and one of its addresses (in my example it would have been 192.168.0.1).

Note that if you use Roadshow to make your Amiga into a bridge you will not be able to use DHCP configuration in the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet segment unless you run a DHCP server in it (Roadshow does not ship with a DHCP server). This means that your Amiga in that segment would need to use its own local gateway address and network interface address assignments.

So, this is doable, but not necessarily convenient ;)