« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Es werden für mehr Seite noch 12 (25) neue Abos benötigt.
12 (25) new 1-Year-subscriptions are required for more pages.

Make a Subscription NOW!
More Infos: http://25.amigafuture.de

Is 3c589.device supported?

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

duga
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Is 3c589.device supported?

Post by duga »

Is 3c589.device supported in the same way as cnet.device is?

Update:

Static IP: works.
DHCP: The A600 reboots.

System:
A600
2 MB chip, 4 MB fast
ROM 3.1
NIC: 3CCE589ET

Cardpatch and 3c589.device installed.

Update 2:

AmIRC 3.5: as soon as I login in successfully to the server, the Amiga reboots.

I can successfully ping google.com so the network setup is working including DNS.

Update 3:

System:
A1200
Elbox 1230-II 040 MHz with 32 MB
ROM 3.1
NIC: 3CCE589ET (the same as in A600)

Cardpatch, Cardreset and 3c589.device installed.

DHCP is working on this system. But after 5-15 minutes the system either reboots, freezes or network applications mysteriously stops working (AmIRC screen _disappears_, ping doesn't work etc.) It's not* related to the demo timeout of Roadshow68k.

Edit:
* Actually, it could be related to the demo timeout, but on the A1200 the pop up box that tells you the time is out never appears.
Last edited by duga on 16.12.2012 - 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Tomcat
AFF Profi
AFF Profi

Post by Tomcat »

IIRC i had not such problems with my second A1200 and 3c589.device. TCP/IP-Stack was Genesis.
Check it with Miami, the Demo (Aminet or AmigaOS3.5) runs 1h IIRC. If you have AmigaOS3.9 try Genesis.
duga
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by duga »

Tomcat wrote:IIRC i had not such problems with my second A1200 and 3c589.device. TCP/IP-Stack was Genesis.
Check it with Miami, the Demo (Aminet or AmigaOS3.5) runs 1h IIRC. If you have AmigaOS3.9 try Genesis.
The same A1200 (running OS 3.5) works great with AmiTCP (except no DHCP support).

Edit:
It's confirmed that the demo timeout is eight minutes. So the only problem on the A1200 is that there's no pop up that tells you that the time is up and that the AmIRC 3.6.1 screen just disappears when the connection is lost.
duga
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by duga »

More info about my A600 problems:

AmIRC: crashes as soon as connected to a channel.

AmFTP: crashes as soon as connected to a server.

NCFTP: quits with "Bus error" as soon as connected to a server and Roadshow68k shuts down the active connection, but is possible to start again.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

duga wrote:More info about my A600 problems:

NCFTP: quits with "Bus error" as soon as connected to a server and Roadshow68k shuts down the active connection, but is possible to start again.
I did test Roadshow with an A600HD, although I did not use "3c589.device", but "cnet.device" instead. The tests I performed (in 2011) did involve DHCP, and they specifically tested data throughput. While the data throughput was not great (68000 CPU, chip memory only), the system was stable during and after the test. By design Roadshow supports all network drivers that follow the SANA-IIR2 standard, which includes "3c589.device".

I'm curious as to what is different on your machine from my test setup. Your system has fast memory installed (mine did not), and your NIC requires a different driver. Is your machine still using the original 68000 CPU, or do you also have a CPU card installed?

Did you use the original network configuration file or did you modify it (beyond adding the static IP address, subnet mask, etc.)?

The demo version shutting down is a delicate matter :-( Roadshow needs to tell all currently running programs that it has to quit, but not all programs are prepared to follow that signal. They may expect to be shut down through their user interface only, and the alternative method Roadshow employs may lead to undefined behaviour. Unfortunately, there is no telling what will happen. But the demo version has to do something.
duga
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by duga »

olsen wrote:
duga wrote:More info about my A600 problems:

I did test Roadshow with an A600HD, although I did not use "3c589.device", but "cnet.device" instead. The tests I performed (in 2011) did involve DHCP, and they specifically tested data throughput. While the data throughput was not great (68000 CPU, chip memory only), the system was stable during and after the test. By design Roadshow supports all network drivers that follow the SANA-IIR2 standard, which includes "3c589.device".

I'm curious as to what is different on your machine from my test setup. Your system has fast memory installed (mine did not), and your NIC requires a different driver. Is your machine still using the original 68000 CPU, or do you also have a CPU card installed?

Did you use the original network configuration file or did you modify it (beyond adding the static IP address, subnet mask, etc.)?

The demo version shutting down is a delicate matter :-( Roadshow needs to tell all currently running programs that it has to quit, but not all programs are prepared to follow that signal. They may expect to be shut down through their user interface only, and the alternative method Roadshow employs may lead to undefined behaviour. Unfortunately, there is no telling what will happen. But the demo version has to do something.
Did you test with OS 2.x or 3.1?

How did you test, with FTP? Which client?

I'm using the standard 68000 cpu and 2 MB chip mem.

I'm using the standard config, static IP.

The demo timeout is no longer a problem since I have bought Roadshow68k :)
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

duga wrote: Did you test with OS 2.x or 3.1?
Only with 3.1. I'm afraid I no longer have any machine at hand which can run Kickstart 2.04, has a 68000 CPU and supports adding a NIC :-(
In this particular test I used a special test program, which is optimed for receiving data at maximum speed, with a matching server on the other end of the cable.

Thank you :-) But we still have to get this to work...
duga
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by duga »

olsen wrote:
duga wrote: Did you test with OS 2.x or 3.1?
Only with 3.1. I'm afraid I no longer have any machine at hand which can run Kickstart 2.04, has a 68000 CPU and supports adding a NIC :-(
In this particular test I used a special test program, which is optimed for receiving data at maximum speed, with a matching server on the other end of the cable.

Thank you :-) But we still have to get this to work...
Tried a few more things:

Removed CF0 device fom DEVS: at boot.

Changed default buffers from 32 to 64.

Turned on debugging.

I don't know if the things above made any difference, but I actually managed to connect to ftp.aminet.net with NCFTP. "ls" worked fine, but when I tried "get RECENT" NCFTP disconnected with "bus error" and the netlogviewer reported "switching interface '3c589' offline". The IP connectivity is dead but I still have link up on the NIC.

Edit:

http://www.forum64.de/wbb3/board314-au- ... b83a39fff7

I have the exact same ClassAct problem. If that is solved then probably my netapps will work too.

Right now I'm blaming Classic WB for my problems.
duga
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by duga »

Update:

Made a clean WB 3.1-install instead of Classic WB.

The good news: Now ClassAct works, no ramlib crash anymore.

The bad news: still "bus error" when trying NCFTP.

Guess I have to try another NIC with 3c589.device or cnet.device
duga
AFF Anwärter
AFF Anwärter

Post by duga »

duga wrote:Update:

Made a clean WB 3.1-install instead of Classic WB.

The good news: Now ClassAct works, no ramlib crash anymore.

The bad news: still "bus error" when trying NCFTP.

Guess I have to try another NIC with 3c589.device or cnet.device
The Classic WB problem is confirmed to be caused by a 020 version of layout.gadget instead of the 68000 version.