« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

ADF Version Of Roadshow Needed

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

atrain01us@yahoo.com

ADF Version Of Roadshow Needed

Post by atrain01us@yahoo.com »

Hi,

Does anyone know of software that can create adf versions of non-adf files? I have the Roadshow program that I need to install onto my A2000 but my floppy drive no longer works properly so I can't use it.

In this case the software is currently configured to be copied and installed from floppy disk. I am writing to see if an adf version of it will be available, otherwise I am stuck and won't be able to use the Roadshow software to be able to get on the internet.

Thanks,
daxb
AFF Profi
AFF Profi

Re: ADF Version Of Roadshow Needed

Post by daxb »

tsgui for example: http://www.thomas-rapp.homepage.t-onlin ... nload.html

If your floppy drive is broken, I do not understand why do you want ADF files? What possibilities do you have to transfer data to your A2000? Usually you just copy Roadshow (LHA) to your A2000 and unpack/install it.
atrain01us@yahoo.com

Adf files can be installed using the gotek device, which is what I have to replace the floppy drive. Until I can get on the internet using my A2000, the roadshow software and any other software that is over 880k is useless to me.

Thanks,
Thomas
Amiga Future Redaktion
Amiga Future Redaktion

Post by Thomas »

TSGUI cannot create ADFs from files, it can only create ADFs of disks. And it runs on the Amiga, not on Windows.

You need something like ADFOpus or TotalCommander with ADF plugin. (Note that these are only names I heard, I never needed or tried such myself.)

You can also use WinUAE to install a virtual Amiga on your Windows machine and then use AmigaOS to copy from Windows directories to virtual floppy images a.k.a. ADF.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

atrain01us@yahoo.com wrote: 16.06.2020 - 07:04 Hi,

Does anyone know of software that can create adf versions of non-adf files? I have the Roadshow program that I need to install onto my A2000 but my floppy drive no longer works properly so I can't use it.

In this case the software is currently configured to be copied and installed from floppy disk. I am writing to see if an adf version of it will be available, otherwise I am stuck and won't be able to use the Roadshow software to be able to get on the internet.

Thanks,
I'm afraid that there is no straight solution for your problem at the moment, short of us (that would be APC&TCP and myself) creating an ADF installation disk image file for you. Which certainly would make great sense to ship as part of the regular Roadshow order.

If this would be helpful for you, please let us know and we'll see what we can do for you :)
atrain01us@yahoo.com

Yes please!! That would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!
atrain01us@yahoo.com

Hi,

Just a note to ask if there is any recent news regarding an adf version of roadshow?

Thanks,
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Post by olsen »

atrain01us@yahoo.com wrote: 04.08.2020 - 20:46 Hi,

Just a note to ask if there is any recent news regarding an adf version of roadshow?

Thanks,
Unfortunately, yes :(

It turns out that fitting Roadshow on a single disk does not work at all, even if you move the documentation, diagnostic tools (e.g. tcpdump), client programs (ftp, wget), the network drivers (ppp-serial.device, ppp-ethernet.device), the 68020+ optimized versions of libraries and devices to separate disks. You still need the Installer to be present so that the installation script can do its job, and it already takes up more than 100 KBytes of space (that's about 10% if not more of the entire disk).

Data compression might be a viable step forward, but I have my doubts: there are so many small files in the installation archive (in the SYS:Storage/NetInterfaces drawer) that compressing them will save no space: they may get shorter but still take up exactly as many disk blocks as they did in uncompressed form.

Shuffling all of that data around to spread it across 2-4 disks (the tcpdump command is huge and would need its own disk!) does not make good sense, and it would need a special separate installation script to do everything well.

This is as far as I got during the past few months, and I'm stumped. The approach I tried seems like a poor fit since the goal was to have all the installable software and configuration files at hand.

A different approach would be called for. What would you want the ADF installation to do in the first place? What are the most important features it has to cover? Completeness and compatibility with the disk archive installation process (unpack the archive, start the Installer script) seems to be no viable option.
atrain01us@yahoo.com

Hi,

Thanks for your efforts so far. Here are my thoughts on how we can try to attack this issue:

What if you create adf files of all the installation files, breaking up those files that can't fit as one adf file onto as many adf files as needed.In doing so, create install scripts that note the broken up files and will use them as part of the re-assemble process on the amiga.

On the amiga/usb drive/gotek, have an starter adf file that would kick off the pre-install process. This process would consist of reading all of the adf files to re-create the full Roadshow object in the ram disk by re-creating those objects that had to be broken up and those that did not have to be broken up. Once this is successfully done, a script in the ram disk would start the real install of the Roadshow software.

As a programmer myself of over 35 years, I'm always thinking of ways to resolve issues on the platform I work on. Maybe my thoughts might trigger ideas for you.

Contact me if you want to bounce any ideas you may have based on my thoughts above. Hopefully we can come up with a solution.

Thanks,
daxb
AFF Profi
AFF Profi

Post by daxb »

Can't you do it yourself then?