« 

Amiga Future

« 

Community

« 

Knowledge

« 

Last Magazine

The Amiga Future 167 was released on the March 5th.

More informations

« 

Service

« 

Search

Advanced search

Unanswered topics
Active topics
« 

Social Media

Twitter Amigafuture Facebook Amigafuture RSS-Feed [german] Amigafuture RSS-Feed [english] Instagram YouTube Patreon
« 

Advertisement

Amazon

Patreon

« 

Partnerlinks

Es werden für mehr Seite noch 12 (25) neue Abos benötigt.
12 (25) new 1-Year-subscriptions are required for more pages.

Make a Subscription NOW!
More Infos: http://25.amigafuture.de

Roadshow speed issues

Support Roadshow

Moderators: AndreasM, olsen

sweetypie
Grade reingestolpert
Grade reingestolpert

Roadshow speed issues

Post by sweetypie »

At a higher speed wget and AWeb crash shortly (I think I get about 15-45kb of aminet front page to load before the machine crashes and less with wget). Now, if I lower the baudrate the issues go away. I probably have an underlying hardware issue but I was wondering if there's any settings that could help me mitigate the problem.
I should have the latest Roadshow version (version bsdsocket.library gives me 4.332) and I am using slip.device on a full 060.
olsen
CygnusEd Developer

Re: Roadshow speed issues

Post by olsen »

sweetypie wrote: 30.06.2020 - 16:46 At a higher speed wget and AWeb crash shortly (I think I get about 15-45kb of aminet front page to load before the machine crashes and less with wget). Now, if I lower the baudrate the issues go away. I probably have an underlying hardware issue but I was wondering if there's any settings that could help me mitigate the problem.
I should have the latest Roadshow version (version bsdsocket.library gives me 4.332) and I am using slip.device on a full 060.
A lot of data going into and out of your Amiga network interface will be copied back and forth between RAM and the transmission/reception buffer of the network hardware. Your system becoming unstable at higher speeds suggests that the more data is being copied (in response to the speed) the faster the trouble emerges.

There currently is no built-in mechanism in Roadshow by which you could slow down the network input/output operations. Running Roadshow entirely out of chip memory would have this effect, though. But if the problem is with your fast memory, then starting the old "NoFastMem" command prior to starting Roadshow would only succeed in masking the source of the problem.

A quick test to see if your memory might be at fault would be this: use the shell "Copy" command to copy as much data from your SYS: partition into RAM: until either the "RAM Disk" has filled up or your system crashes. The "RAM Disk" is particularly vulnerable to memory corruption and RAM defects and can at least suggest that something's wrong.